Dental Sealants In Powell, TN
Dental sealants are thin, tooth-colored protective coatings made from composite resin material placed on the chewing surfaces of molars and premolars to help prevent cavities. At Knoxville Smile Center, Dr. Michael J Solly suggests sealants to protect the teeth of children and teens as they are more susceptible to dental decay and cavities due to their developing oral hygiene habits and diets.
Our dental sealants in Powell, TN, can last for years with proper maintenance so you can enjoy a healthy problem-free smile.
How Are Dental Sealants Applied?
Applying dental sealants near you is quick, easy, and painless. Here are the steps involved:
- Cleaning: Our dentist near you thoroughly cleans the tooth or teeth to be sealed with a polishing brush and fluoride-free pumice paste.
- Etching: In the next step, Dr. Michael J Solly applies a mild acidic solution to the tooth’s chewing surface for a few seconds to roughen the surface.
- Rinsing and Drying: The tooth is then rinsed with water and dried with an air syringe to remove any remaining etching solution.
- Application: Our dentist in Powell, TN, then applies the sealant material to the tooth with a small brush, allowing it to flow into the grooves and pits. The sealant material blends in with the natural color of the tooth.
- Curing is the final step of the process in which our dentist uses a special light to harden the sealant material and help it bond securely to the tooth surface.
The entire process at Knoxville Smile Center usually takes only a few minutes per tooth. There is no anesthesia or numbing medication during the procedure.
How To Care For Your Sealed Teeth?
Caring for your sealed teeth is similar to caring for your natural pearly whites, with a few additional considerations to ensure that the sealants stay intact and continue to protect your teeth from decay. Here are some tips-
- Avoid hard and sticky foods.
- Visit our dentist for regular dental checkups.
- Practice good oral hygiene.
Book an appointment at Knoxville Smile Center to learn how dental sealants can save your teeth from decay and give you a healthy, happy smile.