Benefits of Dental Sealants for Your Child
Regular brushing, flossing, and mouthwash might not be enough to protect your child’s teeth from decay and gum disease. Children have deeper grooves on their molars, and food tends to get stuck in these crevices. Regular brushing is often inefficient in removing debris, making the teeth susceptible to bacterial attack.
Dental sealants can be a great option to prevent your child’s teeth from tooth decay by providing an added layer of protection.
What Are Dental Sealants?
Dental sealants are thin films made from composite resin applied to the surfaces of the back teeth. Deep grooves and crevices make these back teeth more susceptible to cavities. Dental sealants fill these grooves and crevices, creating a smooth dental surface that is easier to clean and less likely to develop cavities.
Dentists commonly recommend dental sealants for children and teenagers, as their teeth are still developing and are more susceptible to decay and cavities. Adults can also benefit from sealants, especially if deep grooves or fissures on their teeth make them more vulnerable to decay.
What Are The Benefits Of Dental Sealants?
Dental sealants offer several benefits that can protect the oral health of children and prevent cavities and decay –
- Dental sealants create a barrier protecting teeth from decay and cavities, especially in hard-to-reach areas.
- Applying dental sealants is fast, easy, and painless, and our dentist can complete it in just one dental visit.
- Dental sealants are a cost-effective way to prevent cavities and tooth decay, saving money on more extensive dental treatments.
- Unlike other dental procedures, such as fillings or root canals, dental sealants are painless and do not require any anesthesia.
- Dental sealants can continue to protect your teeth for over a decade with proper care. However, they may need to be reapplied if chipped or worn. Our dentist will check the sealants at each regular dental visit to ensure they remain intact and continue to protect your child’s teeth.
Please book an appointment at Knoxville Smile Center to learn how sealants can help your child maintain good oral health and a healthy and happy smile.